This is a photo of Vina Marie Vandivier, called Vinnie, daughter of George Vandivier and Martha Daniel, in honor of the cousin who just contacted me. She was born 10 September 1908 in Parke County. She married Zenith Johnson 1 January 1924. The children I have listed for them are Waneta, Bobbie, Leroy and Herald.
This is the last couple I can identify in photos.
Brownie Miller was born on 22 Jun 1896 in Vermillion Co., IN, the son of Sylvester and Sarah Miller. When he registered for the World War I draft on June 5, 1918, he was living in Clinton, IN, and working as a farmer. His eye color was listed as brown and his hair color as red. What we’re missing in the old black and white photos!
Brownie married Sarah Amnie Wilson Vandivier on June 19, 1920. She was born August 19, 1901, the daughter of George Bayless Vandivier and Martha A. Daniel.
Brownie and Sarah/Amnie had the following children:
- Dorothy May Miller was born in 1922 in IN, USA.
- James Ivan Miller was born in 1923 in IN, USA.
- Annette Miller, born 1925; married Tom McLeish.
- Martha Miller was born in Feb 1929 in IN, USA.
- Charles Ray Miller was born about 1932. He died about 1965 at the age of 33.
In 1930 the family lived in St. Bernice, Helt Township, Vermillion County, Indiana.
My mother told me that her Aunt Amnie (the name her family seemed to use) and her family visited her sister Mary Myrtle Vandivier (who married Fred Wilson) and her family in Connecticut when the oldest daughter Dorothy was about twelve years old. She was no doubt interested in meeting her cousin with the same name, my Aunt Dorothy Edith Wilson. The next year Dorothy Miller died of what was called “galloping consumption.”
Dorothy’s mother Sarah Amnie Miller died on February 17, 1763. Her father died in March 1980 in Brazil, Clay County, Indiana.
George Bayless Vandivier was born on July 13, 1866 in Cornishville, Mercer Co., KY, the son of Richard Vandivier and Elizabeth Peavler. His wife Martha A. Daniel was born July 10, 1871 in the same locality. Her parents were Jacob Cleland Moore Daniel and Rhoda E. Farr. They were married May 11, 1890 in Mercer County.
Sometime before their daughter Mary Myrtle’s birth November 18, 1894 the couple and their first three children moved to McKinney, Texas, northeast of Dallas. By the time their son William was born December 23, 1896 the family was living in Kentucky again. In June 1900 George and his family were shown by the federal census as living in Parke County, Indiana, where the family would remain.
In 1900 George worked as a day laborer. On April 15, 1910 he was a laborer in brick plant. He died on July 2, 1942 at the age of 75 of chronic nephritis in St. Bernice, Vermillion Co., IN.
Martha had already died on January 26, 1940 at the age of 68 in Rosedale, Parke Co., IN. They were both buried at Mt. Olivet Cemetery in Florida Township, Parke Co., IN. My grandmother said that Martha was short, round and jolly.
George Bayless Vandivier and Martha A. Daniel had the following children:
- Elizabeth Vandivier, born 18 Apr 1891; married Walter Redenbaugh, 15 Aug 1905; died 25 Aug 1975.
- Thusia Vandivier was born on 10 Apr 1892. She died on 10 Apr 1895 at the age of 3.
- Melvina Vandivier, born 20 Jan 1893; married Henry Thomas Buffington, 15 Sep 1906; died 27 Jul 1953.
- Mary Myrtle Vandivier, born 18 Nov 1894, McKinney, TX; married Frederick Everett Wilson, 1910; died 26 Dec 1948, Wassaic, Dutchess Co., NY.
- Russell Vandivier was born in Dec 1895. He died in Dec 1895 at the age of 0.
- William Thomas Vandivier, born 23 Dec 1896, Kentucky; married Carrie Opal Peffley, 20 Mar 1918; died 9 Dec 1965, , Parke Co., IN, USA.
- Jacob Milton Vandivier, born 4 Jul 1898, Harrodsburg, Mercer Co., KY, USA; married Mary Mandana Cottrell, 24 Feb 1919; died 3 Mar 1975, Rockville, Parke Co., IN, USA.
- Sarah Amnie Wilson Vandivier, born 19 Aug 1901 in IN, USA; married Brownie Miller, 19 Jun 1920; died 17 Feb 1963.
- Wilma Vandivier was born on 11 Dec 1902. She died on 11 Dec 1902 at the age of 0.
- Thelma Vandivier was born on 11 Dec 1902. She died on 11 Dec 1902 at the age of 0.
- Nellie M. M. Vandivier was born in 1903 in , Parke Co., IN, USA.
- Chester Alvin Vandivier, born 20 Jul 1904, Parke Co., IN, USA; married Edith Markwell, 25 Mar 1930; died Apr 1980, Dana, Vermillion Co., IN, USA.
- Vina Marie “Vinnie” Vandivier, born 10 Sep 1908, Parke Co., IN, USA; married Zenith Johnson, 1 Jan 1924.
- Elmer Ray Vandivier, born 30 Jul 1910; married Lenore Blanche Beaty, 16 Oct 1929; died 25 Sep 1967, Parke Co., IN, USA.
- Everett Vandivier, born 9 Mar 1912; married Dorothy Overpeck, 17 Apr 1933; died 22 Jul 1992, Terra Haute, Vigo Co., IN.